Author: Chris Cornell

Labour group take principled stand on councillor pay

The Local Labour Group has today launched an online petition in support of its council motion to show solidarity with public sector workers. The council motion, which will come to a vote on the 19th October, calls for the city leaders to ‘limit any future increases to Members’ allowances’ pegging any increase to “the level of the public sector pay award or [the rate of] inflation, whichever is lower.’ Last week the plan drew support from Rosie Duffield MP who highlighted the “greed of Kent County Councillors in awarding themselves a 15% pay rise earlier this year” at a time when...

Read More

Job Centre protest planned for Friday

Whitstable Job Centre will close on Friday 13th October and the irony of this macabre date is not going unnoticed.  The Whitstable Labour Party has been petitioning DWP to retain the service for the last four years and on its last day is planning a protest to say a final goodbye. In April 2014 Whitstable Job Centre, reduced its hours to 2 hours a day and was threatened with closure.  After a successful campaign the closure was delayed but a final decision has been made, with Herne Bay Job Centre also scheduled for closure before Christmas. Local Labour activist...

Read More

Have you had your say? How council consultation fails to spark interest

I’ve just clicked “send” on my personal submission to the City Council’s Community Governance Review. You switched off yet? The truth is that the Community Governance Review is extremely important and yet no one is talking about it. Currently 70% of people living in Canterbury district don’t have any sort of town or parish council. The other 30% have parish councils who demand an additional £50-60 a year which they spend on public spaces, local facilities and a more local approach to planning. The consultations asks the 70%, is this fair and do you want a new system? For...

Read More

Local party win Best Practice Award

Members of the local Labour Party were this week given an award by Jeremy Corbyn and General Secretary of the Labour Party Iain McNicol, in recognition of their work engaging and involving members in this years General Election Campaign. The Labour Party in Canterbury, Whitstable and the Villages has nearly 2000 members and well over 400 of them were involved in either street stalls, door knocking or phone banks throughout the general election campaign. With well over 20 new volunteers approaching the Campaign Co-Ordinator a day in the last ten days of the election, the party relied on its two...

Read More

Agent

Promoted by Pat Edwards on behalf of Canterbury Constituency Labour Party all at 12, Belmont Road, Whitstable, CT5 1QP

Upcoming Events

October 2017

Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Sun
1
2
  • Whitstable Branch Meeting
3
4
5
  • Women's Group
6
7
8
9
  • Canterbury Branch Meeting
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31