Walking and cycling around the centre of our City should be safe, healthy and enjoyable. But currently it isn’t.
Two main reasons are:
- Polluting traffic causing poor air quality especially around the level crossing in St Dunstan’s, London Road and St Peter’s Place.
- Speeding vehicles and lack of cycling provision deter local people from leaving their cars at home for shorter journeys
Pip Hazelton will promote walking and cycling by
- Working on routes into and across the citybased on Canterbury Labour’s ‘Top 10 Walking and Cycling Asks’.
- Ensuring the cross-party initiative for 20mph zones is fully implemented and extended
- Creating more cycle racks and electric car charging points– taking over under-used council owned car parking spaces where necessary.
- Working with existing environmental and other community groupsto maximise buy in.