A message from our new Fundraiser, Andy Davidson
It would be great to get a few people to help me flesh out a programme of fundraising activities and work with me to deliver them over the next two years.
All Canterbury City Council seats will be up for election in 2023, and there may also be a general election. We are starting our preparations now and have calculated that we need to raise £39,000 for the campaigns that we will need to improve on Canterbury’s great results in the 2019 General Election, and in the recent local elections. It sounds a lot, but it’s just 26p per member per week between June 2021 and April 2023. I think you’ll agree that’s a tiny price to pay for the prospect of a better future for us all.
I have set out my initial thoughts on some activities we could initiate, but they are by no means set in stone and I am very willing to take on new ideas which will help the cause.
Please contact me at [email protected] or by mobile on 07718 699 441 if you would like to work with a team of fundraisers to help deliver success at the next elections.
Initial Thoughts on Fundraising Activities:
Quarterly quiz nights
- At venues large enough to hold at least 15 teams of 6
- Somewhere we would be able to run a bar and take the profit from sales
- An entry fee for each table
- A raffle on the night (prizes would need to be donated)
Annual Christmas Dinner
Tickets for this are currently on sale.
You can book here: https://buytickets.at/canterburyclp/596704
Details about venue, menu, and entertainment are here:
- As with the Christmas Dinner similar venue size
- Need time to gather items that would be of interest to our membership to bid for
- Source celebrity auctioneer
- Approach Labour-sympathetic personalities to provide items – musicians, artists, politicians etc.
- Perhaps this could also be a dinner and disco
- Possibly in the summer at an outside venue or in a marquee
- Approach local musicians for support and to put together a line-up
- Authors Night to tie up with Whitstable Literary Festival
- Artists Week possibly at Whitstable Labour Club using it as a gallery and speaking space to meet the artist
- Tutored wine tasting evening
If you would rather contribute by making a new donation …
… you can use the donations button by following this link: https://donate.labour.org.uk/canterbury/1
… or if you prefer, you can pay directly into the CLP’s account:
Bank Unity Trust
Sort code 60-83-01
Account number 58142091
Account name CANTERBURY CLP
Both methods can be used either to make one-off or regular monthly donations.
Nearly all our money gets spent on campaigning. Obviously we have some other expenses also; but if you want to ensure that your new donation can only be spent on campaigning, then after making your donation just write to our Treasurer, David Rogers, and tell him so: [email protected]. David will ensure that your new donation goes into the Ring-fenced Campaigns Fund.
If you are interested in sponsoring an event let us know here.
Whether it is funding directly or simply offering free accommodation for an event we can credit you in our invite emails and maximise the publicity you get from being involved and supporting us.
We are passionate about supporting our local communities and grateful when local communities feel able to support us.